- Turns out I also operate a comedy website called True Dog Facts. And I founded a nonprofit called Save All The Pets to save the lives of shelter animals.
- You simply must watch this adorable and funny video from French animator Chloé Alliez.
- The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter Than You Think is a great book based on solid research.
- How Dogs Learn is a good book on dog training by two PhDs. The chapter on “extinction” is worth the price of the book, in my opinion.
- Planet Dog: A Doglopedia has a crazy amount of information–and dog haikus. It’s fun to flip through aimlessly. It’s also insanely cheap.
- I actually learned what breed my favorite dog Hawkin is from Google. Download the free Google Photos app (Android, iPhone), tap on the square with a circle in it, and it will identify the dog breed. Pretty accurate!
- If you have Netflix, the show Seven Days Out has an interesting episode about the Westminster Dog Show.
- If you’re feeling brave, the Turcsán, et al. academic article has a wealth of information about different dog breeds.
- Secret Life Of Dogs is a fascinating documentary, including stories of dogs saving lives.
- We Have No Idea: A Guide to the Unknown Universe is a great book because it’s both fun and informative. You can read a free excerpt here.
- The Story of Earth: The First 4.5 Billion Years, from Stardust to Living Planet makes something that could be a bit dull come to life. For starters, I learned how the moon was formed.
- The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements is a book I never would have expected to like. It’s about all the unexpected ways the elements were discovered and their influence on us.
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind is mind-boggling in its breadth. It’s a great book to read if you want to learn about the development of humankind.
Movies & Shows
- Coherence is a mind-bending sci-fi movie–my favorite movie. Even though the “special effects” consist of glow sticks, it’s extremely well done. I recommend you not Google it first since it’s easily spoiled. Disclaimer: this is a thinking movie.
- Again on Netflix, the shows Travels with my Father (a British comedian who goes traveling with his curmudgeonly father) and The Fix (a panel show where comedians “solve” world problems) are fantastic.
- Lali Puna is a German electropop band based in Munich. I never get tired of hearing them.
- The New Pornographers is a fun Canadian band. The hilarious video has David Cross in it!
- Yelle is a fun, surreal French artist. Even though my French isn’t great, I can tell the lyrics are smart and her melodies wend their way into your brain.
- Stromae is a Belgian artist who sings in French. His melodies and the topics he sings about are excellent.
- I find myself often retweeting @qikipedia, from a British trivia show. Lots of fun facts! Also check out @SkypeScientist, which features scientists that call into classrooms to share their ideas.